Did you know that videos, including those online (like clips from youtube.com) must be captioned so that individuals who are deaf or hard of hearing can access the information contained in the video? In fact, captioning benefits many people, including those who speak English as a second language, those who have some hearing loss, and those who might not understand the accent or dialect of the speaker in the video.

Captioning is a verbatim rendering of the words, speech sounds, and non-speech sounds that appear with the visual recording in synchronized fashion. Captioning makes it possible for people to access audio information by displaying text on the screen during a video. It should be synchronized with the dialogue, sound, and video action.

Captions provide context and meaning to the audio soundtrack in many ways, including:

·                identifying speaker names or identifiers -John: I'm happy to meet you

·                Indicating meaningful silences - Mother: Where have you been? Son: (silence)

·                Indicating sounds like birds singing, horns honking or people shouting to each other in the background

·                Accurately transcribing language so viewers understand language register - "I told Johnny I was gonna get him for beatin' me in the race today.  Cuz I was mad. I wanted to win..."

Captioning services<http://www.umt.edu/it/services/accessible_IT/captioning.php> are available from Accessible Technology Services on campus. Emergency captioning services can be provided for a charge. Fill out the captioning request form<http://www.umt.edu/it/services/accessible_IT/cap-request.php> to request captioning for your videos or contact Janet Sedgley<[log in to unmask]">mailto:[log in to unmask]> at (406) 243-5452 for more information.

For further information about Electronic and Information Technology Accessibility, please visit the University of Montana Accessibility Homepage<http://www.umt.edu/accessibility/> (http://www.umt.edu/accessibility/) or call 243-HELP (4357) or 243-EITA (3482).