The University of Montana logo WELCOME TO LISTSERV 15.0

Help for REAL-L Archives

REAL-L Archives

REAL-L Archives

Subject: Fwd: REAL Donation Template
From: "Lebihan, Soazig" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Fri, 31 Mar 2017 15:49:01 +0000

Dear all,

Here is the donation template for getting business gifts for the silent auction.

Regarding the silent auction, I had an idea last night that I wanted to share with you. I have had a dream for a while to be able to award prizes to some of my students. That would be money (somewhere between $100 and $500) that would have to be used for grad school (books for example). There are two “groups” of students that I have identified which I would love to support:

(1) The ones who have overcome tremendous adversity. Over the last 8 years, I have read and talked about sexual assault, child abuse, drug addiction, racism, dire poverty, debilitating diseases, and more. I read about this not as a counselor, but in personal statement. In other words, I am not talking about it because these students ask for emotional support, but because they were successful enough to finish a degree with a high GPA, and because they are committed to go to law school and speak up for the voiceless.  I find that to be one of the most inspiring parts of my job. And I really think that they deserve recognition for their accomplishments. Even $100 would make a huge difference for these students. This is the group I call “Upward Montana”.

(2) The moms. Oh god, the moms. Teen-moms who gave up drugs upon learning about their pregnancy, and went back to school to offer their kids a better life than they ever did. The moms who work full time at night while going to school and raising three young kids. Older moms who are done raising the kids and feel that they have to make the world a better place for their grand kids. Middle moms who go back to school after years devoted to raising little ones. What I call the “Moms in Law” are inspiring too. They have so much on their plate it’s unbearable to think.

Of course, I have zero resources to do anything like that within the prelaw program.  So, here is the idea: if we think that CASA is doing ok, maybe we could raise money for a fund devoted to pre-law students who fall under these two categories.

I am obviously not set on this, and I certainly don’t want to push my own agenda on the group. I am just offering. Let me know what you think.

That was a long email. I’ll send another one about future meetings. Kelsey I am assuming will send the minutes from last night.

Yours,

Soazig Le Bihan
Associate Professor of Philosophy
Coordinator of the Prelaw Program